Friday, March 17, 2006

Musings on Veils

12MAR2006 Today was our "Self-Directed Training Day". That means we didn't have any scheduled classes, and we were free to do our "own learning" and it isn't a "Day Off". There are no days off in the Peace Corps. It's officially written that way. They are "working" and "non-working" days if you go to a health center like me, but none of them are days off. We're always on. I like that. I am such a workaholic. Today I did my laundry. By hand. It was kind of fun. It was relaxing, but I like doing repetative, monotonous things to relax myself. I'm not sure if I'll find it fun by the end of two years. Although, I might just decide that its the best way EVER. I do miss fabric softener, though. I went to lunch at a cafe and ordered food in French and survived. I bought postcards in French. Almost everyone here speaks French, they start learning it about third grade, so that has been a HUGE lifesaver. My Arabic isn't anything more than a few words right now. Tomorrow we start learning Arabic Script. That will be cool. I did a little studying in the afternoon and then I had a litte Church time. I have some Mormon Tabernacle Choir on my iPod, and I just sat and read my scriptures and listened to my music. It was great. The afternoon call to prayer was in the middle of it all, and it was interesting to sit and watch the townsfolk head to the mosque (I was on the roof of our place) and think about all the ways people recognize God. The more I learn about Islam, the more I really like it. It is so similar to the Gospel. No orginal sin. There will be a Judgement Day, and Christ will return, but He isn't recognized as diety, He'll be with some other person, I forget who right now. Daily prayer, five set times every day, actually. Fasting is important-Ramadan! Regularly giving a portion of your income to the poor. I had a long conversation with one of my teachers about veils the other day. It is really neat. The idea behind it is modesty, and the way you wear it is a reflection of your faith. You don't just put it on one day and that's it. Most women sort of work their way up to wearing a full veil, with neck and ears and hair completely covered. Some places women wear even a cover over their faces, with mesh over their eyes. I asked if there was something for men to do to show their modesty and respect for bodies and intimacy, and there is, but it is slightly different. The men are taught to dress loosely as far as external appearance, but the main focus with them is a behavioral one. They are not supposed to leer at women, or talk about how beautiful each part of a woman is. It is considered disrespectful to look at a woman for too long. In dating relationships there is no touching, no kissing. I thought it was all really cool. Men are so visual, I think it makes sense to have more guidelines about behavior than appearance. So, if you see a woman in a veil, don't think she's ashamed or oppressed. She is proud to be showing her faithfulness to Allah. She is proud to keep her most sacred blessings intact. There is tremendous strength in it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home