Saturday, March 04, 2006

Philly is Dilly

I'm not sure what that title means, either. But, I'm doing well. I made it, I found wireless internet access, and I have ordered room service! Actually, that was for breakfast. I made it in pretty late last night, and I was tired, but I was just too excited to sleep. And, perhaps jetlag was a factor. Anyhow, I fell asleep around 3am, and then woke up at 7am and had My Favorite Breakfast, french toast. It was alright. I like the french toast at Village Inn the best, I think. I also had a boyfriend who made it really well. Those are my two favorite kinds of french toast. After breakfast, I was a little sore and tired again, so I took a bath and went back to sleep for a couple of more hours. (sore from the carrying bags all through airports, not from eating the french toast) I know, I know, I am not taking advantage of Our Nation's History here in the City of Brotherly Love, but I was tired. Then, I went downstairs in my version of "business casual" attire (hiking boots and no belt on the slacks) to start the official Peace Corps Staging. It was a lot of talking to new people and listening to stuff about What We're All About. It is not country-specific, so there are a lot of words like "paradigm" and "stakeholders" and such. Lots of acronyms, too. I am a PCT- Peace Corps Trainee. I will become a PCV- PC Volunteer. I have a CD- country director. Something called VSSS, Volunteer Safety, Security, Blah blah blah. Rules so that we don't die or burn down any villages. I found out that even though I know how, I am officially NOT allowed to deliver babies. That makes sense to me. If I were to do nursing things, I would be practicing medicine without a license. I am no Dr. Nick! We got a nice amount of running about money. Some of the guys I went to dinner with suggested we get sweatpants on, drink some raw eggs, and go running up the steps of Independence Hall and pump our fists in the air. (I think it was Indepedence Hall-that building with the stairs in "Rocky".) This is going to be a fun time. I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow, but it's just your basic hotel. I'm sitting in the lobby by the gas fireplace. They're just teasing us with all these comforts. A funny story: At the front desk, the guy said, "Miss Frome, there's a problem with your reservation, I'll be right back." Crud. Well, not so crud. I was actually booked by mistake in with a high school wrestling team, and had two wrestlers for roomies. They changed it and now I've got the only private room in our group! Yaaay!! Besides, I don't know how to wrestle. :-) Interesting Things I Learned Today: -there is another RN in the health group, she is newly retired and comes from Orem, UT! ha!! -we actually will use our bare left hands to wipe, then wash them well -I will be learning a bit of Arabic, but then most of my language training will be focused on one of two Berber dialects -I did not overpack, compared to some...

2 Comments:

Blogger FoxyJ said...

I am never, ever touching your left hand again. I think you should just leave it behind in Morocco when you come home.

3/05/2006 06:52:00 AM  
Blogger Earth Sign Mama said...

The building in Rocky was the city library I think. I know it wasn't Independence Hall because it is red brick and doesn't have pillars or a huge row of steps. Seeing the artifacts isn't nearly as important as living the principals...and there you are--going off to share yourself because you are free to do just that.

3/05/2006 08:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home